According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, liposuction is the second most popular plastic surgery procedure in America. While the popularity of liposuction is no surprise, thanks to its proven ability to eliminate stubborn pockets of unwanted fat, the procedure simply isn’t right for everyone who wants to improve his or her figure.
The best way to determine if you are a good candidate for liposuction surgery is to meet personally with one of our experienced plastic surgeons for a complimentary initial consultation. Generally speaking, good candidates for liposuction should meet the following basic criteria:
- Are in good overall health: Some medical issues and serious illnesses such as lung disease, blood clots or diabetes may prohibit proper healing and lead to unnecessary complications. Certain medications such as warfarin may also cause issues. Our plastic surgeon will assess your physical condition and medical history to determine if you can safely achieve the body contours you desire through liposuction.
- Practice good diet and exercise routines: It’s important to realize that liposuction is not weight loss surgery. Not only should you be near your ideal weight when considering the procedure, your results will diminish without proper diet and exercise. You’ll need to take it easy for several weeks after your surgery, but by getting up and moving about 24 hours after your procedure, you can greatly assist the healing process.
- Are non-smokers: If you are considering liposuction, you should either be smoke-free or willing to quit prior to your surgery and for the duration of your recovery. The same is true for alcohol consumption. Both substances can increase your healing time, noticeable scarring and risk of complications.
- Are not pregnant or nursing: Motherhood is a precious gift that can change your life in many ways, including your body. Many women choose to undergo liposuction to restore their pre-baby bodies. However, you should have finished breastfeeding for several months prior to your surgery to allow your body to adapt.
- Have realistic expectations: Liposuction can be an ideal solution for the right patient, but it is a body contouring procedure, not a shortcut to losing weight. If you have excess skin from pregnancy or significant weight loss, a tummy tuck might be a better option to achieve your goals.
Your Liposuction Consultation
Although the list above offers a general overview of liposuction candidacy, it is by no means a substitute for meeting personally with one of our experienced plastic surgeons. There are several factors that can affect your candidacy for liposuction, which is one of the reasons why scheduling an appointment is so beneficial. If there is a factor that hinders your candidacy, we can work with you to determine your next steps toward achieving candidacy or recommend other options to help you reach your aesthetic goals. If you are a good candidate for this procedure, our plastic surgeon will discuss your expectations, your options and other pertinent information to ensure the most rewarding experience possible.
Contact Midsota Plastic Surgeons Today
If you are ready to take the first step toward a slim, toned figure, please contact us online or at 320-253-7257 today to schedule your personal consultation at Midsota Plastic Surgeons’ St. Cloud, Alexandria, or Baxter locations. We look forward to meeting you!