Laser skin resurfacing is a safe and effective way to address a wide range of skin conditions. If you would like to improve the appearance of wrinkles, reduce acne scars, address skin pigmentation issues, tighten your skin or improve your overall skin tone, laser treatments may be an excellent option for you. However, before moving forward with your treatment, it’s important to understand a few key details about this versatile nonsurgical procedure.
The Timing of Your Laser Skin Treatment Matters
Certain times of the year are definitely better than others to undergo laser skin resurfacing. Late fall and winter provide you with the optimal timing for your treatment for the following reasons:
- Laser skin resurfacing is most effective when your skin is pale since the laser is drawn to darker areas of pigmentation. By waiting until your summer tan has faded, the laser will be less likely to confuse the surrounding skin for the treatment area.
- Your skin will be hypersensitive to exposure to the sun’s UV rays following your treatment. Undergoing laser skin resurfacing in the fall or winter when you are spending more time indoors will limit your sun exposure during this critical time.
Due to your skin’s sensitivity to the sun after laser treatments, it will be crucial to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen that is SPF 30 or higher every time you are outside for a few months after your procedure. This will provide the protection you need while your skin is extra sensitive.
Having Darker Skin Tone doesn’t Necessarily Rule You Out as a Candidate
While laser skin resurfacing works best on individuals with lighter skin tones, you can still achieve excellent results if you have a darker skin tone. In these situations, the laser used will play an important role in your results. For example, Erbium lasers often achieve more effective results and reduce the risk of discoloration for individuals with Hispanic, Asian or lighter-toned African American skin tones.
If you have a very dark skin tone, our doctors may recommend alternative skin resurfacing options such as microneedling or radio-frequency treatments to achieve the best possible results.
Your Treatment Provider Matters
The doctor you choose to administer your laser skin resurfacing treatments will play a significant role in the outcome you achieve. When performed by a highly skilled and experienced provider, laser skin resurfacing is very safe and effective. However, working with an inexperienced or poorly trained professional can significantly increase your risk of complications and a poor outcome.
Never look for the best deal when choosing a laser skin resurfacing provider. Instead, make sure you work with someone who has the proper training, experience and background to deliver the safe, effective results you deserve. At Midsota, our board-certified plastic surgeons all have undergone the rigorous training necessary to deliver the best possible outcome during your treatment.
Different Lasers Are Ideally Suited to Treat Different Conditions
The specific skin condition you experience will determine the right laser for your treatment:
- CO2 lasers are effective at treating scars, wrinkles, warts and deeper skin imperfections.
- Fractional lasers are highly effective at treating age-related skin conditions. The laser energy is split into thousands of tiny beams, and each of these beams work on a small portion of the treatment region. This reduces downtime and ensures excellent results.
- Pulsed-dye lasers use heat energy to treat hyperpigmentation, rosacea, redness and broken capillaries.
- Erbium lasers stimulate collagen production, making them an effective way to treat age spots, skin laxity, and fine lines and wrinkles.
During your initial consultation with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons, we’ll recommend the right laser to address your specific concern.
You May Require Multiple Treatments
In most instances, you will need a series of laser treatments to achieve the best possible outcome. Once you’ve undergone the necessary number of treatments, you should expect to experience beautiful, long-lasting results.
Contact our St. Cloud Plastic Surgeons
Please contact Midsota Plastic Surgeons using the form on this page or call 320-253-7257 today to schedule a laser skin resurfacing consultation. We serve patients in St. Cloud and the surrounding areas of Minnesota.